Silom Community Clinic, Thailand
- Bangkok, Thailand Clinical Research Site: Silom Community Clinic @ TropMed
- Bangkok site coordinator explaining clinic process to Emory PI (Jeffrey Lennox) and CDC-Atlanta Collaborators.
Photo credits (optional)HIV prevention products at Bangkok Clinical Trials Unit site.
- Site visit to Bangkok CRS—CDC-Atlanta collaborators and Emory PI (Carlos del Rio)—far right.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci and Khun Supavit Chesdachai, sixth year medical student at Ramathibodi Hospital (a university hospital of the Mahidol University), meets with Dr. Timothy Holtz, Director of the HIV/STD Research Program of the Thailand Ministry of Public Health - U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Collaboration and a participant in an HIV prevention research study, as well as a member of the clinic's men who have sex with men (MSM) Community Advisory Board, to discuss efforts to identify new tools to help end the HIV epidemic, especially among men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender women.
- Dr. Timothy Holtz and Dr. Anupong Chitwarakorn, both of the Thailand Ministry of Public Health - U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Collaboration, brief Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, about the various HIV prevention clinical research trials conducted at the Silom Community Clinic @TropMed.
- The Silom Community Clinic clinical research site is a collaboration of the Thai Ministry of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and is located in Bangkok, a city with an incidence of HIV of about 6%.
- This site works closely with the MSM community, injection drug use (IDU) community, other research institutions, and the government to enroll participants into HIV prevention trials. For example, this site conducts the Bankgok MSM Cohort study, a longitudinal (3-5 year) cohort study that began in 2006. Of the 1,744 MSM enrolled, 22% have HIV, with an HIV incidence rate of 6 per 100 person years.
- This site also conducts studies from the HIV prevention strategies (HPTN) network.
- The Silom Community Clinic is a safe and convenient place that provides HIV voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) and other medical services to the men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender population at no cost.
To learn more about CDC's AIDS prevention efforts, such as this one, click Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention (DHAP)